Sunday 23 August 2015

Welcome!


Herping is the act of searching for amphibians or reptiles. The term, often used by professional and amateur herpetologists, comes from the word "herp", which comes from the same Greek root as herpetology, herpet-, meaning "creeping" - Wikipedia

In this blog I intend to share some of my photos and experiences whilst herping in the British Isles and occasionally abroad.

As a small child (like many young boys) I spent much time "pond dipping" and catching frogs and newts which I often kept in glass tanks and other cages at home. I later progressed to keeping exotic herptiles from around the world, but now, many years later I have re-discovered my love of British reptiles and amphibians and have set out trying to observe and photograph as many of them as possible in the wild.

Unfortunately in today's environmental climate, much of our native wildlife has come under threat and even a number of "common" species are in decline. It is for this reason that I have decided to be quite vague about any site locations and intend mainly to use this blog as an outlet to share some of my photography.

I hope my posts will inspire others to get outdoors and enjoy our native reptiles, amphibians and other wildlife.

Happy herping,
Lee.

Common Toad (Bufo bufo)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment